Friday 27 May 2011

Burger Nine: Fajita Burger


Burger Number Nine - Fajita Burger
Page: 208

Burger number nine was Darren's choice; we have had a wave of fajita love recently so were keen to try out Ted's version on the classic dish. There were a number of phases to this fajita burger preparation so I took myself off to the store, amassed all the relevant ingredients ( or best endeavors; Ted has a habit of asking for quite abstract ingredients, for example, where on earth does one find 'smoked chipotle chillies in adobo sauce. Not in Collingwood, I tell you). 

I started off with the burgers to give them time to rest while I prepped everything else. I combined the following in a bowl and was (I am sure you will agree) very intrigued by the recipe:
  • Ground Chicken
  • Bone Dust *grin*
  • Cumin
  • Chili powder
  • Oil
  • Corn Tortilla Chips ( crushed)
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Jalapenos
I mixed them all together and popped the bowl in the fridge. In the meantime, I had several other treats to prepare. I had bought some Old El Paso 'Mexican' rice and well as some tortillas ( I love the mexican section in Metro, so handy for such an occasion). http://www.oldelpaso.co.uk/


 I had also purchased some refried beans from the Old El Paso Range which ( despite looking and smelling exactly like tinned cat food), I scooped out and ave a quick blast in the microwave.
Then to the salsa, I deviated quite heavily away from Ted's technique here and fried my peppers up in a pan rather than grilling them. I cooked up a red, yellow and green pepper and then added oil, chipotle peppers, garlic, fresh coriander, lime juice and seasoned to taste. WOW, this salsa had punch, holy moly! 

As I was unable to find Tomatillos and poblano peppers (????) in every store Collingwood has to offer... I had to drop the salsa verde. I did however make up his guacamole which was delicious and very simple and fresh ( avocado, lime juice, olicve oil, coriander and green onion).  

Then onto the burgers. We shaped the burger mix into rectangular patties and Darren scooped them up ready to engage the Weber. They didn't take long to cook, just enough time for me to grate some Monteray Jack cheese, warm the tortillas and record an episode of the Big Bang Theory. 

As you can see, we are not having much luck with the weather, it seems like the UK is getting what we should have and the rain has come over here *gaaaa*. 

It took a while to prepare but oh my, they were worth it. 


The combination of flavors was staggering; these burgers are good! Luckily we made enough to last us for the next couple of days... ( still having problems with portion control). Bravo Ted, another classic from your burger book!

No comments:

Post a Comment